Sorbetto in ice cream colours

ImageWIP sorbettoImageLauren from Guthrie and Ghani spread the word about this much loved free pattern. All around the internet, Sorbetto lovers were apparently whipping them up in an afternoon. This was not my experience.

The pattern photo and the instructions definitely look beautiful and were easy to follow. The advice about joining the bias at the centre back was particularly good.

For me, though, the pattern was a struggle. It fitted around the neckline but almost nowhere else. The armhole was way too long and too wide which I only discovered once I’d finished attaching the bias binding trim. The darts were very conspicuous and strangely angled. I ended up changing the pleat, the darts, the armhole, the width of the binding and four inches off the length.

The fabric was 60cm of Liberty print silk de chine, bought in one of the fabric shops in Berwick Street, Soho. It is satisfying to make something with very little fabric!

I added sleeves from my favourite pattern, New Look 6022.

Sadly, I can’t see myself doing it again. This is a shame because it took the whole of the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest to cut out and stick the printed out pages together. (slow worker alert!)

I learned a few things along the way and I know this (free!) pattern’s very popular, so it was worth doing for the experience. Next time I could make a muslin first!

This entry was published on July 23, 2013 at 10:36 am. It’s filed under sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: